INOW Guide to Home School Athletics
On April 12, 2016, the Alabama High School Athletic Association (AHSAA) Legislative Council voted unanimously to pass a new bylaw that allows nontraditional (home school) students an opportunity to participate in sanctioned interscholastic athletics with Alabama public schools. A list of sanctioned interscholastic athletics can be found at: http://www.ahsaa.com/Sports.
Therefore, as a result of the adoption of the aforementioned bylaw by the AHSAA Legislative Council, the following information provided by the AHSAA and INOW should assist you on how to enroll a home school student for athletic eligibility in sanctioned interscholastic sports:
- Please follow your local school board policy for student enrollment.
- You will not upload a transcript. According to the AHSAA, all home school students enrolling for athletic participation are eligible in their initial year of enrollment.
- Assign the studentathlete the recommended classes(s) for academic accountability. (Grades 912 will take a PE and an elective. Grades 78 will take a PE.)
- In INOW, under the Customs tab, scroll down to the blue bar labeled Personal and check “athlete”. Also, under the Personal tab, check “home schooled” under NonTraditional School Type.
- Next, have the student athlete complete all other requirements for AHSAA eligibility (STAR Sportsmanship, Student Release Form, Concussion Form, Current Physical, and Birth Certificate).
- In C2C, you must click the OTG (On Track To Graduate) Column to “Yes” and upload a note in the files to inform the AHSAA this student is a NonTraditional student. This step will allow the AHSAA to make the student athlete academically eligible in C2C before Principal Certification can be completed.
- Beginning in January 2017, eligibility assessments in the four core subjects will be given to these student athletes at the end of each semester beginning with the 7th grade through the first semester of 12th grade, and the percentile grade on each test will then be uploaded into INOW.
All questions related to eligibility and participation of home school students in sanctioned interscholastic athletics should be directed to the Alabama High School Athletic Association at
334. 263.6994. For questions related to INOW, please contact Mr. AJ Price at email@example.com.
Should you have any questions regarding the calculation of ADM as it pertains to these student athletes, please contact Ethan Taylor firstname.lastname@example.org or myself at 334.242.9754.