Walnut Grove Guidance Office
Counseling Goals for Walnut Grove School
The goals and student competencies of the school counseling program are based on the American School Counselor Association National Standards for Students (2003) and the Alabama Comprehensive Counseling and Guidance State Model (2003). They encompass academic development, career development, and personal/social development.
- Students will acquire the attitudes, knowledge and skills that contribute to effective learning in school and across the lifespan.
- Students will complete school with academic preparation essential to choose from a wide range of substantial post-secondary options, including college.
- Students will understand the relationship of academics to the world of work and to life at home and in the community.
- Students will acquire the skill to investigate the work of work in relation to knowledge of self and to make informed career decisions.
- Students will employ strategies to achieve future career goals with success and satisfaction.
- Students will understand the relationship between personal qualities, education, training and the world of work.
- Students will acquire the knowledge, attitudes and interpersonal skills to help them understand and respect self and others.
- Students will make decisions, set goals, and take necessary action to achieve goals.
- Students will understand safety and survival skills.
(ASCA Model 2003 – from state plan)