What is Cooperative Education (Co-Op)?
Cooperative Education (Co-Op) is a major component of career and technical education. Students are afforded an opportunity to earn high school credit while participating in a work-based learning experience. A Cooperative Education experience may be an apprenticeship (paid) or internship (unpaid) position in a career pathway.
Complete these Items:
- Training Agreement
- Emergency Contact
- Join Remind
- At least 16 years of age
- Classified as a junior or senior
- On track for graduation
- Possess the knowledge, skills, behavioral qualities, and abilities required to succeed in employment
- Physically and mentally capable of performing the essential functions of the desired Cooperative Education learning experience
- Successfully completed one CTE course or Career Preparedness
- Acceptable attendance, grades and discipline record
- Complete requisite documentation and process
- Reliable transportation
- Complete 140 work-based learning hours per credit/per semester
- Earn and learn
- Receive school-based and work-based training while attending high school and building your resume
- Earn high school credit and a paycheck
- Earn income and gain financial experience
- Develop, demonstrate, and refine work habits
- Demonstrate responsibility, maturity, job competency, and decision-making skills
- Gain an understanding of the employment process and organizational structure of business and industry
- Improve the transition from school to work and post-secondary opportunities
- Learn to effectively communicate, network and build relationships
- Early release from school to work
- Develop a sound foundation for work ethic
- Potential to raise GPA (provided all the requirements/submissions are met)
- Choose Co-Op on your school registration form.
- Seniors may choose up to two periods a semester.
- It is recommended that Juniors only choose one period a semester.
- Students may choose one semester or an entire year of Co-Op.
- Complete online application
- Attend Intake/Onboarding (scheduled by Coordinator)
- Complete necessary requirements* (will be discussed and shared at Intake/Onboarding)
- Listing of students eligible to 2023-2024 Co-Op provided to counselors for registration
- All students must be actively employed by the first day of the semester